Tuesday 26 March 2013

Toughest Girls of the Galaxy - Raging Heroes

I have slightly conflicted feelings about the soon-to-launch Raging Heroes Kickstarter. Firstly, I've not invested in a Kickstarter before, although they seem to be a very good idea on one level, I wonder if rather large businesses have been taking advantage of this indie business model to slyly launch their products (I'm looking at you Mantic). Secondly, the Toughest Girls of the Galaxy line of models does look rather typically sexualised in terms of their images of women. But then, I suppose with all their rippling muscular physiques, science fantasy men are hyper-sexualised themselves. It's just people don't tend to mention this because, you know, that might be seen as a bit 'gay'. All that being said, if the miniatures live up to the concept art then I'll be very tempted to invest in this project. Take Necro Priestess Nephahrya for example: if the mini looks half as good as this, how can I resist?

6 comments:

  1. If I can put in enough funds to get just this one mini, then it'll be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at some of the most successful kickstarters, sodapop and kingdom death, they had oversexualised females in them. They get alot of backing and now we are starting to see failures on kickstarter we shall see more I think. And I do think kickstarter is just becoming a pre-order service with little risk for some companies. However they do look like nice models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes plenty of female objectification in our hobby, which is a real shame. Raging Heroes is certainly a company that I plan on supporting though, especially if they're coming out with models in the style of this concept art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She would make an incredible mechanicum priestess.

    Kickstarter is a two folded blade, on one hand you have real indie developers asking for a few thousands and usually getting this. Then you have the big boys, reaper, mantic, the Veronica mars movie. Do they really need KS, propably not. But they would be stupid not to, they are businesses after all and if schmucks are prepared to PAY thousands to be extras in the Veronica Mars movie why nottake the idiots' money? It is becoming slightly harder to find the real indie devs, especially in games, but they are still out there. Not every KS is a pre-order store front. But you should never feel bad about taking advantage of a great deal when you find one. Just remeber there are no free lunches and no garantees :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I think Raging Heroes are a great little outfit and I have no worries about backing them. I never saw Veronica Mars so I can't comment on that!

      Delete
    2. I never saw Veronica Mars either but it strikes me as bizarre to pay to be an extra :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...